Dietary supplements are…
- Safe…but maybe not
- Effective…but maybe not
- Actually contain what they say on the label (both what it is and how much is in each dose)…but maybe not
- Improve your overall health…but maybe not
- Treat and/or prevent diseases and illnesses…but maybe not
- Are necessary for eating disorder recovery… but maybe not
- Improve athletic performance… but maybe not
Several deaths have recently been linked to powdered caffeine supplements. They aren’t getting pulled off the shelves because supplements aren’t actually regulated by any governing organization, whereas the FDA regulates prescription medications and will pull drugs from the market if they are unsafe.
Reality is that if you are eating a normal, varied diet you will get enough nutrients. They’re better absorbed via food anyway. And as long as you are nourishing your body and taking care of it overall (e.g. adequate sleep, physical activity, seeing your doctor regularly, etc.) you will be healthy, no supplements required.
+ view comments . . .