What organ does the following for your body?
- Makes hormones that help control reproduction, bone density, metabolism, appetite, and much more
- Body temperature regulation
- Protection of other organs
- Stored energy
- Allows the skin to be soft and flexible
What organ is this? If you guessed body fat (also known as adipose tissue) you're correct! (Not to be confused with dietary fat which serves crucial but different functions.) Most people don't realize that body fat is a metabolically active organ and part of the body's endocrine system.
Organ:a collection of tissues joined in a structural unit to serve a common function.
When we try to eliminate body fat we are fighting against our biology. Your body doesn't want to do without this important organ, and your health would suffer without it. Some consequences of inadequate body fat are:
- Cardiac issues, low heart rate
- Low bone density, possibly osteoporosis
- Low estrogen for women, low testosterone for men – sometimes leads to infertility
- Poor skin appearance, dry skin
- Low energy levels
- Difficulty concentrating, preoccupation with food
- Feeling cold all the time
- Poor immunity, getting sick often
Most people have been brainwashed to believe that fat = bad, so it is hard to appreciate the positive things that our fat does for us. When we consider fat as an organ and the consequences of not having enough of it, it becomes easier to accept and embrace our body fat.
+ view comments . . .