Is weight gain holding you back from going all in with intuitive eating?
Let’s play a quick game. I want you to fill in the blank: I’m afraid to go all-in with intuitive eating because ____________.
You might be thinking things like…
- I’m afraid I’ll gain weight and feel terrible about myself.
- I’ll be totally out of control with my eating.
- I’ll never lose the weight that I currently HAVE to lose in order to be healthy.
(Hmm…It’s almost like I’ve heard all these things before, huh? Wink wink)
Maybe you’re someone who genuinely *has* tried to go all-in with intuitive eating (and/or eating disorder recovery) and you’ve already gained weight and you’re not sure how to cope with that.
The hours and energy this has robbed from your soul are something you can never get back… but this doesn’t have to continue to consume you (pun intended).
The majority of us, if not all, have been taught that being fat is equivalent to being unhealthy or being unattractive.
YOU CAN LEARN TO TRUST AND ACCEPT YOUR BODY EVEN IF YOU GAIN WEIGHT.
I want you to finally have the peace and freedom with food that you deserve. And the joy that comes from accepting where your weight lands as a result of this.
Is it easy? No.
Is it worth it? ABSOLUTELY.
You don’t have to live in fear about your weight anymore. In fact, you won’t truly be able to become a full-fledged intuitive eater if you don’t trust and accept your body’s natural set point weight.
So let’s step fully into intuitive eating and body trust together, shall we?
How to deal with weight gain (and the fear of it) with Intuitive Eating
- Give yourself compassion. Go through it by understanding the facts. Reassure yourself that it’s ok to gain weight.
- Have radical acceptance that bodies change. Accept and normalize the changing of bodies. Choose to accept your body no matter what. Radical acceptance is the KEY mindset shift that will help you stress less about your weight.
- Tune into your hunger and fullness cues, and listen to them. Eating whatever you want whenever you want is not true intuitive eating. Intuitive eating is driven by listening to your body and tuning into those hunger fullness cues. It is about intentional eating vs. impulsive eating.
What to do if you have gained weight:
- Buy and wear clothing that fits.
- Do not go back to dieting no matter how bad you want to
I talk about all this in detail in Episode 04 of the Rebuilding Trust with Your Body podcast!
LISTEN TO THE EPISODE NOW:
Or, listen & subscribe on your favorite platform: Apple Podcasts | Spotify | Deezer | Google
Search for episode 4 – How to Handle Weight Gain (or the fear of it) with Intuitive Eating
“The truth is that weight cycling is worse for your health than weight gain in itself.” – Katy Harvey
“Remind yourself that while your weight may change, your worth as a human being will not.” – Katy Harvey
Resources mentioned on the podcast:
Let’s get connected!
+ view comments . . .