Being able to find food freedom and heal your relationship with food is totally possible, no matter how long you’ve been struggling and now matter how much you might worry that you won’t be able to change. You truly can, and I want to give you that spark of hope and encouragement.
A lot of people are afraid that they’ll never be able to find food freedom and that they’re going to be stuck battling food and negative body image for the rest of their life. But I’m here to tell you it doesn’t have to be that way. No matter how long you’ve been struggling it absolutely is possible to recover from all of this.
How do I know? Well, this ain’t my first rodeo. I’ve been doing this work for over a decade now, and I have worked with hundreds of people to help them heal their relationship with food. I also know because I’ve been there. I know what it’s like to struggle with food judgments and fears, and with not liking your body and desperately wanting to change it. I understand the struggles from my own personal experience.
Is it easy? No.
Is it worth it? Absolutely, yes.
So, let’s get down to it. What are the steps to finding food freedom?
Just like building a house, the first thing we have to do is lay the foundation. It’s not the most fun or sexy part of house building, but it’s absolutely necessary, so do not skip this step.
Laying the foundation in this situation means ditching the diet mentality. What exactly is the diet mentality? It’s the belief system that tells us:
- Thinness is good, fatness is bad
- Losing weight makes us healthier, gaining weight makes us unhealthy
- Thin people are more attractive than fat people
- If you can just control your eating then you can control your weight
- If you control your weight you can control your life
- Certain foods are good, and other foods are bad
- Eating what we want will lead to gluttony and weight gain – and that this is bad and unhealthy
- That our bodies and our appetites can’t be trusted, so we must control our food intake
- Diets are the solution to our food and body image problems
- Diet mentality also tells us that our body image problems will be solved through weight loss….and again, that thin is good, fat is bad. You can see how it all centers around this core concept.
So ditching the diet mentality in order to find food freedom means fundamentally rejecting the idea that thinness is good and fat is bad. It also means rejecting the idea that we can (or should) control our weight through dieting or controlling our food intake. And ditching the diet mentality means letting go of the fantasy that if we just reach a certain size, weight or appearance that we would be happy and healthy and fulfilled.
I cover all this in detail (and more) on Episode 39 of Rebuilding Trust With Your Body. So make sure you check it out!
- Laying the foundation by ditching the diet mentality
- Specific steps to healing your relationship with food
- What food freedom actually looks (and feels) like
Click here to listen on Apple podcasts!
LISTEN TO THE EPISODE NOW:
Or, listen & subscribe on your favorite platform: Apple Podcasts | Spotify | Deezer | Google
Search for episode 39 – How To Change Your Relationship With Food, Ditch Dieting, And Find Food Freedom
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Free Guide: The 5 Phases of Becoming a Non-Dieter
Rate, Review, & Follow!
“What I didn’t know I needed! This podcast really helped me understand intuitive eating and how to incorporate it in my life. Katy’s approach to helping us understand and trust our bodies is like nothing I’ve ever seen before.”
If that sounds like you, please consider rating and reviewing my show! This helps me support more people — just like you — move toward healing their relationship with food and their body image.
Also, if you haven’t done so already, make sure you follow the Rebuilding Trust with Your Body podcast. If you’re not following, there’s a good chance you’ll miss out on value-packed episodes each week.
Let’s get connected!
- Instagram: @katyharvey.rd
- Facebook: KatyHarveyRD
Looking for more support on your journey to food freedom and body acceptance?
- Join my Facebook group & community “Intuitive Eating Made Easy”
- Take my FREE quiz “What’s Your Unique Path to Food Freedom?”
- Save $120 on HelloFresh, my fav food delivery service!
- Check out my course, Non-Diet Academy
+ view comments . . .