Beauty is defined as "a characteristic of a person, animal, object, or idea that provided a perceptual experience of pleasure of satisfaction."
For women our culture has brainwashed us with these messages about beauty:
- Be thin — and to this I would also add the recent pressure of being not only thin but also "toned".
- Have flawless hair and makeup, but make it look effortless.
- Wear the latest fashion trends, fit in.
- Always be working to improve your body, through diet, exercise, creams, potions, etc.
- Criticise your body, especially in front of other people so they know that you don't think you're beautiful.
Our industrialized society has trained us to all strive for conformity – not only with beauty, but in our education system, the workplace, socially, everywhere. This used to benefit us so as to not be separated from our tribe, and thus increasing our chances of survival. But we aren't in that same environment anymore.
How about being yourself, and celebraing your body's intrinsic beauty? Conformity is boring and soul-sucking. It's time to be an individual. Think how much higher you could fly if you weren't wasting all of your time trying to live up to these ridiculous standards of beauty (which are impossible to achieve in the first place).