I got an ad in the mail today for a gym, promising results (i.e. weight loss) for anyone who would join. Here's what you're really getting with your membership:
- A shaming "health" assessment where you are told your BMI, body fat % and other nonsensical numbers that make you feel like crap.
- A restrictive diet from a personal trainer who isn't qualified to be giving this advice in the first place.
- A sense of personal failure when the diet doesn't work.
- Subsequent weight gain from the backlash of the restrictive diet.
- A headache from the mind-numbing act of stationary movement on the cardio equipment.
- A staph infection from the weights that nobody ever cleans (I'm kidding….hopefully).
- Frustration with the time and money you later realize you wasted after you've stopped going to the gym because it wasn't fun or enjoyable to begin with.
Sign me up? I don't think so.