One of the things I appreciate about the midwest is our opportunity to experience all four seasons of the year in their fullest glory. Each season makes me appreciate the others. The warm glow of a spring afternoon is so much sweeter after the dark cold winter.
The progressively longer days and nicer weather make me feel more energized. Here are some fun ways to appreciate your body this spring:
- Pretend you are a photojournalist and take a nature walk with your phone. Snap photos of whatever catches your eye – a chirping bird, buds on the trees, flowers blooming. It truly is amazing how diverse and beautiful nature is when you stop and enjoy it. Your body will appreciate the fresh air and walking.
- Head out to the farmer's market and pick up some seasonal produce. Asparagus and artichokes are at their peak right now. You could even pick out a seasonal food you've never tried and teach yourself how to prepare it – maybe something like fennel, lychee, or radicchio. Have fun with it!
- Make some sun tea. Stick a jug of water with some tea bags out in the sun and let it steep for a few hours. Pour over ice and drink in the sunshine. Add a sprig of mint for a fun garnish.
- Take your pooch to the dog park. Fido will surely appreciate the opportunity to socialize and you can play a game of fetch while you're there.
- Plant some flowers. If you don't have an outdoor space to plant them you can get some pots and do it inside. Tending to a garden can be extremely therapeutic and a good workout for your body. You can also plant some produce and experience the joy of cultivating your own food from seed to plate. There's something kind of cool about eating something you grew.
- Have fun with spring fashion. Bust out the floral prints and pastels. Decorate your body in these lovely colors.
- Get a pedicure. With sandal season upon us your toes would appreciate some TLC. Treating yourself to a pedicure is a lovely way to nurture your body and celebrate the season with a pop of color.